Here are the three main things to consider when hiring in order of their importance.
They aren’t rocket science, but they work.
- Attitude—convincing someone to change it is like convincing the horse to drink the water.
- Skills—can be learned; look for the frequency of job moves that required new skills.
- Degrees—are like new cars that lose value the minute you take them off the lot.
Make sure the culture and management style they expect, based on discussions when interviewing, is what they get.
And practice daily the three main actions that will keep them loyal.
- Appreciate them.
- Provide ways for them to make a difference and notice when they do.
- Provide feedback and challenges to help them grow.
Again, not rocket science.
Flickr image credit: Simon Cocks