A Friday series exploring Startups and the people who make them go. Read all If the Shoe Fits posts here.
Last week we looked at what companies are doing about product security — which is little-to-nothing in most cases.
Nintendo’s new Switch console — think Zelda — is making news, but its unique security effort should be in the limelight, too.
Unlike Tide, Nintendo realized the console’s tiny, SD-sized game cartridges would be irresistible to kids — so its designers came up with the perfect solution.
They didn’t wait for a curious kid (and the resulting lawsuit) to choke or even die from swallowing one, before addressing it.
They thought it through and spent the needed time and money to assure that kids wouldn’t eat the cartridges in the first place.
And they succeeded.
The cartridges are coated with something that makes them taste terrible.
Terrible as in spitting them out.
“To avoid the possibility of accidental ingestion, keep the game card away from young children,” a Nintendo spokesperson told Kotaku. “A bittering agent (denatonium benzoate) has also been applied to the game card.” (The agent is non-toxic.)
Adults, too. Hilariously, it was an adult game reviewer who decided to lick the cartridge.
I put that Switch cart in my mouth and I’m not sure what those things are made of but I can still taste it. Do not try this at home.
— Jeff Gerstmann (@jeffgerstmann) February 25, 2017
No question, it’s a brilliant solution — the only kind that really works, since it requires absolutely no effort from consumers.
Three cheers for Nintendo.
Wouldn’t it be nice if founders and full-blown enterprises followed Nintendo’s lead before something happened?
Image credit: HikingArtist